Monday, May 30, 2016

Love Comes Back to You

I recently posted some thoughts in a divorce group I'm in on Facebook.  I felt good about this message and wanted to save and share it.  It is short, but I believe it is very true.  Hope you are doing well out there, wherever you are.  Blessings to you!

I went to my former niece's mission farewell today. I guess to me, she is still my niece. I wasn't sure that I wanted to stay very long. You know, it's not always so pleasant to be hanging out with your ex and her husband at these kinds of events. Can you feel me? But I have to say, that every time I go to these joint family events, I am treated like royalty by all my kids and all my former in-laws and friends. I felt so good that I ended up staying and reminiscing with them for a long time. It was wonderful. Even my 16 year old son noticed and commented on it. He said, "You know Dad, all of mom's sisters still haven't replaced you. They all still love you 'cause you're a good person." I have to say I loved hearing that and feeling that, especially from my son. It reminded me of this scripture in the Book of Mormon.

Alma 41:14
14 Therefore, my son, see that you are merciful unto your brethren; deal justly, judge righteously, and do good continually; and if ye do all these things then shall ye receive your reward; yea, ye shall have mercy restored unto you again; ye shall have justice restored unto you again; ye shall have a righteous judgment restored unto you again; and ye shall have good rewarded unto you again.

15 For that which ye do asend out shall return unto you again, and be restored

I believe this scripture doesn't just pertain to the next life. It pertains to this one. I told my son. "If you treat people right and love them, then it will come back to you later, when you need it." This is a true principle.

Not everything happens immediately in this world. We are not always rewarded quickly for loving others. Offenders don't always have evil restored to them quickly either, but I have lived long enough to see the restoration of good and evil come to folks. It just does.

I am blessed that relationships that I forged over decades reward me in the present. This will accelerate throughout our lives and will culminate on the other side. Never think it is vain to serve God. Those who keep the commandments are the happiest people on this earth and will be also rewarded ten times more in the future.

I know that not everyone's former in-laws are nice or accepting, but love will win out for the righteous in the end. Never weary of loving others. Love is its' own reward. You will see it and feel it in this life. Don't forget.
Just some thoughts to share with you on a Sunday evening. Blessings to you all!

11 comments:

  1. Thank you. Today I am weary. I gave 25 years of my life to a marriage that was broken from the start. I kept pouring myself into it hoping one day it would work right. I feel like I gave the best years of my life to it and refused to give up until my soul was empty. He moved on quickly, remarried, is doing everything with the second wife that literally could have healed our marriage ( at least he learned and isn't making the same mistakes ) It leaves me hurt, though I know I'll heal, I always do. Today, I'm home, my kids are all in California with their Dad and Stepmom for a long vacation, Disneyland, and I'm sad and maybe a little resentful that I can't afford to take them anywhere. I know they know how much I love them, and how I do my best for them. Your piece reminds to keep loving and doing my best, and down the line, it will have been more than enough. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bless you. May you mount up on wings of eagles and may your children call you blessed among women. Good is and will come to you. Watch for it. :)

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We are grateful for the Zarate families continue out reach to us as well. We love them too

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for your insight Brett- I find that trying to be fair and to view even the most offensive as children of God does come back to us in the long run. Things do come out in the wash, as they say... and there is always a second rinse :) It's more important for us to become progressively what we sent here to become and to help others to see that they can lay down their hate and hurt to be better. I'm not perfect at this yet by any means, but I'm perfectly willing to keep going down this road that leads to peace!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Another beautiful message Brett. Thank you. Sometimes it might feel that love has failed us, like I've felt with my oldest son. But I don't ever want to give up on loving him. No matter how it is returned. I know that offering our love to others will always bring us happiness.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like this Brett. I am going to use a quote from it if you don't mind.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sin duda que algún día el amor que dedicamos vuelta para nosotros. Cuándo amamos sinceramente las personas, ellas son cautivadas y jamás nos van olvidar. Gracias, Brett, por compartir!

    ReplyDelete