Monday, May 2, 2016

Revelation to Each One of Us

I've been asking some questions of late, questions that keep coming to my mind.  I've been casting them up to Heaven, letting them echo and reverberate back down to me and throughout the universe. The questions are not really new.  I've been asking them for years.  I've gotten little hints of answers here and there.  Little packets of information have been sent to me that seem to sink in more and more as I continue to experience life.  One day all the little packets will add up to a perfect brightness and my understanding will be complete. That's how revelation from God works.  It is scriptural. 

 Isaiah 28:10  For precept must be upon precept, precept upon precept; line upon line, line upon line; here a little, and there a little:

Even with all the prophets, the pattern is the same.  They are given knowledge in the time they need and as a response to sincere and earnest prayer.  We are no different from them in this regard and we are entitled to revelation from God just as much as anyone else.  The key to revelation is this, we must ask with all sincerity without attempting to hide anything from God.  We can't pretend with him. We cannot trifle with sacred things.  We cannot expect answers from Him on a whim and we must absolutely be willing to listen and act on the knowledge we receive.  If we follow that simple pattern, our knowledge will grow unto a perfect day and we will one day return to live in His presence.

Many times the problem is not with our prayers.  It lies with our willingness to listen and act.  We want God's answers to fit what we want, not necessarily what He wants for us.  That's the difference between a true disciple and one who has not yet made the commitment.  A true disciple is willing to make whatever change in his or her personal life the Lord wants.  They will take a different job, give up an ingrained habit, move to another place, talk to people they have never met, suffer rejection by others, suffer illness, give up former friends, former lifestyles, join a misunderstood church.  The list goes on and can be unique to each individual.  Why would a person be willing to do such difficult things?  It is simply because they see something beautiful that is not of this world and they desire it more than anything else.

Hebrews 11: 16  But now they desire a better country, that is, an heavenly: wherefore God is not ashamed to be called their God: for he hath prepared for them a city.

As my imperfect path of discipleship has continued over the course of my life, I have worried at times that my mission on this earth has been interrupted or that my promised blessings would not come to pass, especially because of my divorce.   Divorce is not God's way.  It is not His plan for His children. Unfortunately a divorce was inevitable for me.  There was no way to stop it.   I fought it for a long time and would not give up trying to save my marriage despite all.

Finally after I had done everything and had laid it all upon the altar before God in my prayers, I heard the thought come into my mind, "It's time for you to let go and follow My plan now, son."  I heard the message clearly and it felt right in my mind and in my heart.  That's when I was finally able to let go.  There was another path for me and it had all been planned out.  

As I have had time to reflect, I have come to believe and know that my path has all been foreknown by God.  My divorce was previously known and planned for.  It was not allowed to happen in order to stop my progress and my promised blessings from coming to me. There has been no detour from my life mission and path.  My unexpected trials have been part of my plan and I believe, an essential one.  I never left my walk with God though I have walked imperfectly.  It's still my plan.  It's still my path.  I'm still moving in the right direction.  That growing understanding has meant the world to me.

I feel much more at peace now as time has passed and God has opened up little by little a greater view of my past, present, and future.  I have come to this knowledge not through a vision or dream but by small packets of inspiration that have come to me over time as I have striven to follow the path of discipleship.

He will do that for all of us if we learn to see with our spiritual eyes and hear with our spiritual ears, and let our hearts be softened instead of hardened in our trials.

This I believe and I hope you do too.

Upward and onward my brothers and sisters.







7 comments:

  1. The key to revelation is obedience to and complete love of Father. Tapping into His knowledge and foresight using the power of the Holy Ghost. Our sincerity of prayer has nothing to do with receiving revelation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing this Brett!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like this Brett. Great words of wisdom!

    ReplyDelete
  4. let your hearts be drawn out in prayer unto him continually: Alma 34:27. Without asking (sincere prayer) and seeking understanding, there would be no revelation. Ask and ye shall receive, knock and it shall be opened. Line upon line. Thank you for this beautiful post.

    ReplyDelete
  5. In my P-blessing, I always had a feeling this (marriage crumbling) would happen, but thought maybe I just didn't understand it yet. After he left, I kept rereading it. At first I was angry that the eternal marriage I had wished for and worked hard for, was predestined to fail. Then one day the simple words stood out. "Begin your life this way". I needed to have an eternal perspective. My life is really never over, and the Lord knew I would love someone who would choose to leave. BUT.. HE, My Heavenly Father, was reminding me that this situation would prepare me for something greater. My appreciation for my next real eternal love. I'd be much more humble, grateful, loving, and understanding for someone who would need this from me.
    Maybe it takes an earthquake to rattle your life, to stand back and survey damage. Go over your past, present and future, so we learn what others really need from us, or what we really need from HIM.
    I'm still learning, and still seeking understanding daily.
    Thank you for your posts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you feel that way. We both have realized and accepted our unexpected journeys. Blessings to you!

      Delete