Saturday, August 16, 2014

This is me.....





So this is me.   I'm 49 years old.  This is what I look like now.  The picture I'm holding is what I looked like at 17 years old getting ready for my senior year of high school in Dunwoody, GA.  I had a few less wrinkles then, no gray hairs.  That was a long time ago.  I was full of dreams then, full of ideas, full of expectations.  Have I lived since then?  Yes I have!  I've done a-lot of living.  I've walked a-lot of miles.  I've fought in many battles.  I've won some and lost some, but I'll tell you this my friend:  There is no way I'm going to lose this war.  No way.  I'm not a loser and when they carry me out of this world, I'm going out a winner.  They're going to find my body upstream as they say. 

You see, I believe I'm on this earth for a reason and no matter how far life seems to have strayed from that reason, that mission, I'm always going to come back to it.  Do you feel me? That's a promise.  Do you believe that about your own life?  I know you do.  

So this blog is dedicated to you and me and to healing, to overcoming, to understanding; to not allowing our pasts to determine our destinies, only to give us experience and to enable us to become our best selves.  Here's to taking the crappy hands we've been dealt and turning them into royal flushes.  Are you with me?  Good!  Let's fight then.  Join me on the front.  Your comments will be appreciated if they are sincere.  We can help each other my friends.  I'll tell you my story and you can tell me yours, only do tell me.

By the way of introduction, I'm Mormon and am not ashamed of it.  I'm the father of 6 children, and I've been divorced for almost a year and a half.  Not ashamed of that either.  "Stuff" happens that you can't control.  I can only control how I choose to respond.  This blog is part of my way of responding to "stuff" as it exists in my world.  Hope you enjoy it and and get something out of it.  We'll talk soon.

Take care,

Brett

5 comments:

  1. Well said, Brett. Writing things down will help, and putting yourself out to encourage others is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm feeling ya coach B! Put me in, I'm ready to play! *Runs to find spiritual cleats*

    ReplyDelete
  3. You go Brett! You have always been a winner and always will be. Life is good.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am with you Brett! You are a rockstar to me! Glad you are doing this blog!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Brett. My name is Jane wilcox. I am Matt's mom. I don't know how often you check into this blog but I have someone I would like to introduce to if you are comfortable with that. My family has suggested that I not do this ; I sometimes don't follow their advice 🤔. I think the concern is that this would be awkward because matt and Katherine are friends; and maybe that is true so if you agree it is uncomfortable, well, no harm done. But if I don't follow up I will always wonder. You might be in a relationship, so again, no worries. My husband David has a darling sister who just turned 44. She was married for a short time to a man who, unfortunately, did not want the same lifestyle she did. It was painful but she decided she needed to leave. She is a returned missionary, served in Belgium, and is news director at KSL
    ( I never get her title correct but she does some great things at KSL). In fact she just won a regional Emmy for her work. She is darling, (I think she looks like Nicole Kidman) smart, creative, a twin! I could go on and on and maybe I have gone on too much. I have not told anyone I am doing this. I came across this blog quite by accident. I hope you receive and I hope you will take a chance and meet Keri.
    Thanks Brett. Katherine looks wonderful. Matt is loving his mission. He is home in April. Thank you for always treating him kindly.
    Jane 801-201-6071.

    ReplyDelete