Wednesday, May 13, 2015

You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you just might find, you get what you need!

So I go through episodes where I desperately wish I could change certain aspects of my current circumstances.  Like you, I have situations to deal with, many of which, are not of my own making, but have been thrust upon me through the actions of others, bad luck, and any other combination of contributing factors over which I have no control.

The other night, I was experiencing anxiety over the situation of not having all my children live with me on a full time basis.  If you know me at all, you'll know that I cherish my kids.  Each of them is unique and precious to me.  Each one has gifts.  Each one is different.  I was always very involved in their lives and in the day to day raising of them.  I can't tell you how many times I felt guided by the Holy Spirit to speak with them, teach them, and love them.  I still feel that guidance, but it's very different now.  I'm not with them like I used to be and it leaves a hollowness in me sometimes even though it's been a year and a half since things changed.

Well I was talking with God about it that night.  I couldn't sleep.  I kept tossing and turning and and pleading with him.  I was expressing all my angst.  I was naming my children one by one and going through all their situations asking him to change things for us, at least in the way that I would like them to change.  

Well I know how the Lord works. He doesn't look at things they same way that we do.  He sees the end from the beginning and knows us inside and out.  He does things according to his own time according to his own will. He does not rush things and he let's us gain the maximum from each one of our experiences in this life, even the divorced experience.  We can try to force things if we want, but it's always better if we wait patiently on the Lord to unfold our path before us.  It yields the greatest results and the greatest happiness in this life and the next.

I finally got to sleep.  When I woke up, nothing had really changed.  I was still feeling a little of that angst. Of course, nothing had changed for me from the time I went to sleep to the time I woke up, but as the day unfolded I had opportunities to spend some quality time with my children on a day that wasn't scheduled to be mine.

I had a chance to take my oldest son to a fancy restaurant.  I saw my two younger boys when I took my oldest boy home and we whooped and hollered and did break dancing in the driveway. Later I was welcomed home to my own place by two of my wonderful daughters.  That was a nicer welcome home than I've had in years.

Had my situation changed?  No, but I knew that all those little things were an answer to my prayers. They were like getting a hug from above, a little message telling me that the Lord had heard me and wanted to help me be okay.  He sent my children to comfort me. He's got a plan worked out with great things in the present and future for me.  I just know it.

Too many times we pray for things and expect divine intervention immediately.  Sometimes God has other better plans for us than we know, or he just wants us to learn to be patient while he works behind the scenes to maker us better and stronger people.  One thing I know is that he doesn't forget us and he wants us to be well.  We need to be aware of when he is communicating with us and sending messages of love and encouragement.  I know he does this for us all the time.  We just have to learn to listen and be aware of those messages.

Maybe God will help me change some of my circumstances to be the way I want them over time. Maybe he's got a better plan for me than what I can come up with. Either way, I will trust him and things will continue to improve, grow, and become more beautiful.  That's the way it is for us folks that are walking on this path of life but trying to walk it according to His will and not our own.

I know you are with me on this.  We are all brothers and sisters walking through mortality on our way back home.  Let's walk well!  Let's walk well.

<div align="center" style="text-align:center"><div><a href="http://www.ringsurf.com/ring/swifty/">Latter-Day Blogs</a></div><a href="http://www.ringsurf.com">Powered By Ringsurf</a></div>


.

3 comments:

  1. Great post Brett! It is hard for us to see the big picture sometimes, but he always, always blesses us and answers our prayers along the way. He is such a loving Heavenly Father.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete