Saturday, September 20, 2014

Family Chow Time



Ok.  I'll be the first one to admit that I'm not a great chef and that cooking is not on my bucket list to become good at.  I cook to survive as they say and to keep my kids alive.

Now that I'm a single Dad, I have to admit I take more time shopping for food and trying to get something at least halfway nutritious for my kids when they're with me.

I'll have to say that I've gotten mixed results.  This is not my natural habitat.  I'm nowhere near as good as their Mom.  My best bet is to take my own Mom with me shopping to Costco.  She always hooks me up good.  I'll get there someday folks.  I'm working on it.

The other day, my daughter comes in starving after being at her dance class.  "Hey girl! I've got some shrimp pasta in the freezer."  I call out.

"Oh, no thanks, Dad."

"Why?  What's wrong with that?"

"Too slimy."

"What?  Too slimy? You've got to be kidding!  I bought that straight from Smith's!  It's Marie Calendar brand.  Just give it a try."

"Ok. Dad.  I will." she says trying to conceal a slight frown.

"Good.  I'll heat this up for you in the microwave.  You'll like it.  I promise." I say hoping against hope.

"Fine." she replies with little to no enthusiasm.

After putting the pasta primavera in the microwave, I take off to run errands.  I forget all about it after that.  The next morning I go to use the microwave and what do I find there?  You guessed it, that dang pasta meal! "That little pill!"  I think to myself.  "What's it gonna take for her?" I put the meal in the fridge, shaking my head.  I'll just save it for later.

Later that day, lo and behold, my oldest daughter, the one that served in Nicaragua shows up unexpectedly.  She looks around for something to eat.  She looks in the fridge.  "Oh awesome Dad! Can I have this pasta?"

"Of course!"  I reply excitedly.

"Thanks so much Dad!"

"Victory!"  I think to myself.

The meal gets eaten. Go figure.  It takes someone who spent a year and half in a third world country to appreciate the pre-made meal I bought.  Well, at least it didn't go to waste.  I may have only heated it up in the microwave instead of cooked it from scratch, but it did get appreciated.  I know what you're thinking, pretty lame, but at least I had it there for her.

Well I can say this much.  When I do get my kids all together with me, I do what I can to give them a decent meal. By decent I mean edible.  This morning I cooked them bacon and pancakes.  Don't worry, they had some fruit too.  The good part had nothing to do with the food, although it may have helped a little.  The really cool thing is that they were so happy that I did that for them.  They loved their pancakes.  They were all in a great mood.  They loved being together.  Everyone was laughing and making jokes and everyone had enough to eat.  The old adage about family meals is true.  It's a great time to be together and everyone can be his or herself.  Lot's of fun and even gospel messages get shared at the family dinner table.  So, while I miss not having a partner with me to make those memories, I still love having a meal that I cooked with my kids.  It's a tender mercy and a true blessing for me.

I'm sure you all know all about this already, but it's a blessing for a single Dad like me.  I am truly grateful for the small things that bring my family together.  It makes me remember that I'm a good Dad and that I can do something to help my children feel loved and cared for at home.

Shout out to all you single parents out there!  You rock and you know that!  Keep up the good work! We shall prevail!




4 comments:

  1. Your beautiful soul fills them with what is most important. You're trying very hard and you put your heart into making mealtime as best as it can be ... If the kids don't like the food ... PB&J. My free agent status would be willing to assist in creating a few meals for them. It's just a though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post Captain! I agree, family meal times are the best. Even if dinner consists of waffles, eggs, bacon and toast with jelly. I count the jelly as the fruit/veggie for a balanced meal. :)

    ReplyDelete